Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Favourite quotes

One of the things I love is browsing through dictionaries of quotations and the like for things well-known people have said about writing. They always seem to put it so much better than I could!

Here's a small selection of my favourites - either because they're true or because they make me laugh.

"Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives." (James Joyce)

"Far too many [books] relied on the classic formula of a beginning, a muddle and an end." (Philip Larkin)

"Writing is like making love. Don't worry about the orgasm, just concentrate on the process." (Isabel Allende)

"Sometimes I think [my writing] sounds like I walked out of the room and left the typewriter running." (Gene Fowler)

If anyone knows of any others they think I'd like, please feel free to send them to me!

No comments: