Friday, October 14, 2005

Challenge

Torquere Press are running a neat challenge on their readers' yahoo group - readers throw out ideas with a Halloween theme and us poor mugs (aka writers LOL) have to try to come up with story, or at least a snippet, based on that idea. The first idea to come up was pumpkin carving. For some reason all I could think of was the pottery scene in the film 'Ghost' (don't ask why... I haven't a clue!) and I scribbled a very short, very silly little story along those lines and sent it off.

It's odd - up to a few weeks ago I couldn't do flash fiction to save my life, and everything I started was turning into a novel before I'd gone three pages. But suddenly, for whatever reason, I've knocked off about half a dozen of these shorts in the last few weeks and am having lots of fun with them. Most of them are contemporary and many feature mistakes, slip-ups, cock-ups and minor injuries and I'm even wondering whether I could collect enough of them together to bundle into an anthology. I could call it 'One of Those Days' or something. Hmm. I rather like the idea!

No comments: