Tuesday, October 17, 2006

So why the interest...

...in World War Two? I was chatting to some writer friends today and realised that several of my stories and novels have a wartime theme. 'Three Degrees of Separation' has a wartime backstory, whilst 'The House on Penny Lane' is set in Liverpool during the height of the blitz and draws quite heavily on some of my Mum's memories of living there during the war. 'Garden of Remembrance/Roses in December' is partly set in the years leading up to the war. And my latest project is set, once again, in WW2.

So why the fascination? The quick answer is, I honestly don't know. I'm not old enough to have lived through the war, and I never even studied that period at school. I can only think that listening to my parents' and grandparents' stories and memories has influenced me. My family was rather old fashioned and used to live in the past, ('do you remember' was a frequent cry at the dinner table) and it seems I soaked up the endless tales of a bygone age with my tea. So much so that at times, I feel I know more about the 1940s than I do about later decades when I was growing up!

No comments: