Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beating writers' block

There was an amusing article in The Guardian yesterday about how writers get past writers' block.  It was less a 'how to' manual, and more a look at the weirder methods employed by some well-known writers.  Dan Brown, apparently, hangs upside down on a special frame while wearing gravity boots.  When I told one of my friends, she said it explained a lot.  I'd better not comment on that one, except to say that if I tried hanging upside down I'd either get a headache or fall off and break my neck.  Neither of which is all that conducive to writing.

So how do I find inspiration?  Well, sometimes a soak in the bath helps.  I'm not sure why, unless it's the total relaxation that frees up my brain from all those little everyday worries.  Other than that, it's just a case of plodding along.  I'll leave the hanging about to the bats.

No comments: