Thursday, January 21, 2010

My ears are bleeding!

Our new hi-fi turned up yesterday and in the evening we hauled it out of its box, plugged the various bits together with reams of wire, and switched on. We tried out a couple of cds that we happened to have lying around and the results were spectacular to say the least.

This time round we chose to buy Denon. They're not a make we've had before but listening to the same track on various different systems in the shop suggested that Denon gave out the best sound. And oh boy, does it ever. We could hear layers on the cds that we'd never noticed before, and even with the volume turned down the bass was impressive - but without totally swamping everything else.

Of course, we went a bit mad and played Pink Floyd at top volume most of the evening, until my ears started to pound. I'd been sitting in my usual place but the new speakers are so much more powerful than the old that it was really affecting me. Will have to either turn the sound down a bit or more likely, shove the speakers on brackets and fix them higher up on the walls. Either that, or I use the bass-reduction foam plugs they supplied as earplugs...!

No comments: